10 of The Best Fishing Fillet Knife Options 2018 – A Run-Down To Help You Buy Better
An angler may fall in love with their bait and boat, but there’s one must-have for every fisherman – a fillet knife. This small tool is a heaven-sent addition to anyone trying to cut some fine meat. And with sea-food prices skyrocketing, you really can’t afford to waste a bite.
Not all fillet knives are built the same, though. Although the initial concept was passed down generations, several things have changed along the way. It`s important for you to know what has changed along the way.
Some companies put out scads of blades of below-par quality. Others break when put under pressure. There are also some that corrode the minute they come into contact with sea air.
As such, choosing a knife that can sustain you is not always an easy task. You basically want improved flexibility, durability and reliability for every choice you make. With that in mind, here now are the 10 best fishing fillet knife models.
Best 10 Fishing Fillet Knife in the Market in 2023 – Comparison & Rating Chart
10 Best Fillet Knives for Fishing in 2023
1. Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife with Sandvik Blade
This one deserves to be our top pick for many rightful reasons. First, the 6.1 inch blade has high ratings on the net. It is thin, flexible and versatile, allowing you to perform precise cuts. It is endowed with a high friction handle that secures your grip on the knife. It also comes with a stainless steel razor sharp blade. Whether you are dealing with delicate fish or not, this is your go-to tool.
Here are a few features that make Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife a leading choice.
This knife boasts a stainless steel blade which is made using Sandvik technology. One good thing with this component is that the metal is quite strong. It performs pretty well even in strenuous conditions. Depending on your needs you can either go for the 6.1 inch or 3.5 inch variety or both.
When it comes to the grip, this one is fitted with a high-friction handle. The handle is specially patterned to eliminate the risk of slippage. So whether you are operating in rain or snow, this slip-proof design remains as reliable as ever. It is a trust worthy model.
- Easy to clean slotted plastic sheath
- Its handle is designed in such a way that it does not absorb odor
- Sufficient blade thickness of 0.07 inches. The blade is flexible and versatile enough for any catch
- It is Dishwasher safe
- Stainless steel fillet knife with patterned, high-friction handle; available in 3.5-inch or 6.1-inch blade lengths
- 6.1-inch blade is versatile enough for most sizes of fish; slotted plastic sheath is easy to clean and includes two belt clips: belt-loop or clip-on
- Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel is known for its razor sharpness, high hardness, exceptional toughness, and excellent corrosion resistance
2. Global Cromova G-21 Boning Knife
Made by a renowned Japanese company, this knife is respected for its hi-tech blade. Besides being fully steel-made, it is complemented with strong and durable components. In addition to an outstanding design, the Cromova’s handle is made in such a way that it does not trap dirt. It is a knife made by a company with a long history in the fishing industry.
That’s of course besides an extra safety measure through a finger notch space between the handle and the blade. Other features include:
Double Beveled Edge
This is a perfect bet whether you are right handed or left handed. The edge sharp yet tough enough to separate meat from bone. It would allow you to make clean slits with little to no effort.
Categorized as one of the best fishing knife in town, the Cromova has an ergonomic molded handle. This ensures smooth slicing and a strong grip.
The tool is made to shine. And thanks to its high quality of steel, you don’t have to worry about corrosion. It is very reliable in the face of any adversity.
- Lightweight and perfectly balanced
- High quality razor sharpness that is retained over time
- Dimpled handle (also made of stainless steel) for added safety
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 6-1/4-inch boning Knife with flexible blade
- Edge retains razor sharpness exceptionally well, hand wash only, dry thoroughly
- Stainless-steel handle molded for comfort, dimpled for safe Grip
You may also love to check out our few of others knife articles, like article on electric fillet knife, article on boning knife and article on the top knife sharpener on the market right now.
3. The Portable Boning BlizeTec Fillet Knife
Known for its durability and solidness, this multipurpose knife is highly reputed. Its blade is coated with titanium. In addition it is enhanced with slipless polypropylene handle. If you are looking for a fillet knife that’s quite good at small bone removal, this can be a good choice. Some features worth looking forward to include:
The knife has been tested in tough conditions to ensure durability. Moreover, it comes with a lifetime warranty, which you will probably never need, but it is good to have it.
It is ergonomically designed for ease of use. Its blades are sharp and perfectly balanced. This makes the process of cutting much quicker and easier.
Each shipment comes with a unique pouch. This works well in safeguarding the knife from environmental effects. That’s alongside an improved grip for comfortable handling. It is easy to carry and store anywhere you see fit.
- Stainless steel blade
- Thermoplastic handle
- Belt friendly pouch making it an ideal companion for long fishing trips
4. Buck Knives 220 Silver Creek Fishing Fillet Knife
One thing that stands out about this knife is its blade. It is extra slim and cuts through meat easily. You can’t categorize it as either too large or too small. Plus, the added benefit of being a folding knife, easy to carry and store.
But one thing you can’t help but appreciate is its extra durability. Compared to other knives of its caliber, this one has a significant quality difference. It sucessfully exceeds other products` standards.
The foldable design makes this one the best fillet knife units to travel with. Its dimensions are ideal – compact and convenient to handle. It is a reliable model to travel with.
Well Made Handle
The grip of this design provides reliable handling. In fact, you are likely to notice an extra firm grip when separating your meat from the bones. And best of all, you can use this knife in any conditions including wet conditions. That it is because it is ensured to not slip from your grip.
Its blade is coated with corrosion resistant titanium. Therefore, its stainless steel is extra tough and quite durable. It can hold itself in the face of corrosion.
- TPE rubberized handle for firm grip even in wet conditions
- Foldable for easy handling and improved compactness
- Extra tough stainless steel blade thanks to a special coat of titanium
- FOREVER WARRANTY - Since 1902 Buck Knives has offered a lifetime warranty on our knives because we believe in the integrity of our products.FOREVER...
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE - This folding fillet knife has a titanium coated blade and is designed for added flexibility and corrosion resistance, a...
- STRENGTH AND SAFETY - Easy to open with a nail notch on the blade. The lock back mechanism locks the blade open for reliable strength and safety while...
5. Rapala Soft Grip Fillet
As its name suggests, this knife comes with a soft-grip molded textured handle. To complement the handle is a stainless steel blade which is both sharp and well-built. The unit also comes with a nice leather sheath. This is fully backed with a plastic interior to lock the knife in securely. So if you are a traveler, you can pack up this alongside your other belongings without second thoughts. Some of its main selling points include:
This is not just another grip. It is made in such a way that it’s well fitting to the user’s handle. Above all it is designed to reduce hand fatigue.
You can choose from the smallest blade which is 4 inches to longer ones. What stands out about this blade is that it is durable and resistant. The perfect choice for dense meat.
Cozy and Durable Sheath
The package includes a well-made black sheath. This conveniently fits on the belt for easy handling. You also get a single-stage sharpener to keep your knife at peak performance at any time.
- No-slip soft grip for maximum control
- Has an enlarged finger guard for safety
- Enhanced comfort and performance for your chores
- This Soft Grip Fillet Knife is equipped with the famous Rapala flexible stainless steel blade combined with a no-slip
- Soft-grip molded textured handle
- Maximum control and comfort while filleting
You may like to check out ours recent others articles, where we’ve already reviewed what are the best fish finder, what are the best Kayaks for fishing and under 500 & at present what are the top Reels on the market.
6. Rapala 7 1/2 Inch Fish n Fillet Knife
You may like to check out ours recent others articles, where we’ve already reviewed what are the best fish finder, what are the best Kayaks for fishing and under 500 & at present what are the good Reels on the market.
Renowned for its extra thin blade, the Rapala 7 1/2 inch is built for greatness. Whether you want to fillet or remove some bones, this is your go-to knife. Its flexibility means it’s a great companion on the boat and even in the kitchen.
One thing that catches you attention when you see this knife is its birch wood handle. Does it provide enough grip? Well, as it turns out, this is baked birch. And baked birch is quite smooth. It also performs quite well in both wet and dry conditions. Its grip is quite firm as well. Some key pointers of this knife include:
Durable Steel Blade
Despite the blade being super-thin, it is made of handground European stainless steel. This assures you of two things. First, durability is guaranteed. Besides that, you get flexibility that’s second to none. All great assets for a product to have in order to last you a long time.
The beauty about this handle is that it has an authentic touch to it. The fact that it is made of birch wood also makes it gentle on your hands. And as is tradition, birch wood is quite durable. It is also said that the birch wood has a pretty good relationship with water in general, that which makes it the best wood to make a knife handle out of it.
Single Stage Sharpener
No matter how long your fishing trip lasts, you can always keep the knife in tip-top condition. The single stage sharpener is an awesome addition for sure. You can immediately sharpen your knife at any step on the way.
- Scandinavian stainless steel
- Comes with Normark single stage sharpener
- Complemented by a fine-tooled leather sheath for extra safety especially during transportation
- Each Fish 'n Fillet features a full-tang Swedish stainless steel blade with the classic Rapala reinforced birch varnished handle.
- The genuine leather sheath and single-stage sharpener seal the deal
- making it the "go-to" fillet knife in the fishing world.
7. Victorinox 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife – Fibrox Handle
Known for manufacturing the original Swiss Army knives, Victorinox is a brand of repute. Their popular model, the 47513 6-inch is a sure bet as well. It comes with an extra sharp blade made of high carbon steel. This blade is ice tempered to create strong and sharp edges. It is especially good for “shock” slashes and cuts.
To top it up, the blade is stamped with cold rolled steel which makes it easy to sharpen. With such a slim design, this knife perfectly fits in your hand. The Fibrox handle provides that much needed grip with minimal risk of slippage. Some features that make this the best fishing fillet knife include:
The stainless steel blade is enhanced with high carbon which is important for sharpness. Its conical ground offers a wider break point so you can realize durability. It will last you a lifetime.
The handle is designed to maximize on grip. No matter the condition, you will not feel any grease when working with it for extended hours. Its surface is made to handle fishing specific activities.
Looking for the best fishing knife? This is the ideal tool to go for. You will feel confident about filleting once you hold this professional knife between your fingers.
- High precision
- Its Fixbrox handle is smooth yet expertly textured
- Stamped blade for easier sharpening
- A lifetime guarantee
- Versatile de-boning tool. Trim or remove meat from the bone with ease. This knife's pointed tip easily pierces meat while the curved-edge allows for...
- For delicate & thick cuts. Thick meats like beef or pork require a less flexible knife, but this knife's slight bend allows for a delicate touch. The...
- Easy handling. This knife features an ergonomic Fibro Pro handle for a non-slip grip - even when wet. This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced...
8. Dexter Wide Fillet Knife
This can form a great part of your tackle box. It is sharp, thin and most importantly flexible. And thanks to its increased length it can handle larger fish. This is the knife made for that impressive catch that everyone is talking about. Its blade comes with flex points that allow it to gently bend while still maintaining its original shape. Another great plus it is handle.
This is textured, easy-to-clean and most importantly slip resistant. Let’s sample out some of its awesome features.
Long Sharp Blade
This is one of the best fillet knife options available out there. Its DEXSTEEL blade is not only sharp and long but also durable.
This is not just another handle. It boasts improved grip. Moreover, it is highly sanitary thanks to the fact that it is sealed around the blade. It is made to mold along your palm.
This fish fillet knife comes with a hand honed edge. This is extremely easy to sharpen. So no worries whether you are heading out or simply using it in the kitchen its versatility let`s you use it as a day-to-day knife or for more specific activities.
- White, smooth, hygienic handle
- Comes ready to use straight out of its box
- Impervious blade
- COMMAND THE COOK with a knife that makes easy work of trimming fat off of chicken thighs and other cutting tasks
- QUICK AND CLEAN CUTTING created by a hand-honed edge, wide blade and a curved point
- STURDY AND SHARP, the wide 8" blade provides the ideal tool for boning or trimming chicken, beef or pork
9. Rada Cutlery R200 Fillet Knife
The R200 has a rubber handle which is soft on the hand and firm enough for easy-handling. The knife is sharp right out of the box. Although simple in construction it generally appears well made. Its blade is made using T420 high carbon stainless steel.
This is categorized as surgical-grade stainless steel which is pretty tough. It also does not corrode when exposed to salty water. And although this American brand is not as popular, it seems they really did a good job on this knife. So, they are fast to catch theri competition from behind. Several factors that make this the best fishing knife include:
The T420 high carbon surgical grade blade can be hand sharpened. The material used to make it is enhanced to retain sharpness for long.
The knife has a rubber handle which is black in color. The handle is expertly textured into a non-slip section.
In case you are planning to travel with this knife, the leather scabbard is there for you. This scabbard is specially reinforced to protect you. Its interior is enhanced with plastic interior for durability.
- Its handle feels great and secure on the hand
- High quality finish
- High quality steel with corrosion resistance
- GREAT FISHING KNIFE – All fishermen should have this fillet knife in their tackle box. It is lightweight and flexible. The blade measures 7-1/8...
- FLEXIBLE STEEL BLADE – The blade on the fillet knife is made from surgical grade, T420 high carbon stainless steel that is hand sharpened. It is...
- SOFT RUBBER GRIP – The grip on the fillet knife is made from black rubber and feels great in your hand. It is designed to be non-slip so you can...
10. Uncle Henry 168UH Fillet Knife
If there is one thing that stands out about this knife is its looks. Everything from its leather belt sheath to the handle looks awesome. Its handle is enhanced with nickel silver bolsters complete with brass pins.
The blade is made using 7cr17 high carbon stainless steel. The thickness of the stag creates improved control. So even if you are going to filleting for long hours, this knife has got you covered. Top among its features include:
One Piece Steel Blade
Its steel blade ensures durability and strength hands down. Moreover, the rivets that hold the stag grips to the handle for a complete look.
Weighing just 4.1 ounces, this knife is lightweight and agile. Reduced weight means less fatigue from long hours of handling it. Moreover, each unit comes with a leather sheath. This is adequate to maintain the sharpness of the blade as well.
This simply represents Quick, Quiet and Quality. Indeed, the manufacturers ability to create unique handcraft designs is commendable. By blending technology with tradition, the 168UH comes out as the best fishing fillet knife.
- 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel which is both flexible and durable
- Sufficient space between the handle and the blade for handling safety
- Blade length extends up to 5.3 inches which is enough for medium-sized fish
Factors to Consider Before Settling on The Best Fishing Fillet Knife
Fishing fillet knives come in many varieties. It’s not a good idea to buy just any other knife without doing some research. Knowing what to look for can help you determine the best deal at any moment. So here are some factors to consider before settling on the best fishing fillet knife.
Material of the Handle
The design of the handle plays a big role in getting clean cuts effortlessly. You can choose between wooden, plastic or rubber handles. However, wood does not have a good track record. It is slippery in nature and tends to absorb the unpleasant smell of fish. Whatever handle you go for, it should have an ergonomic yet soft grip. It should also be non-slippery to prevent slipping and potential injuries.
Flexibility of the Blades
A good fishing fillet knife must have blades with great flexibility. The flexibility is an integral part in working around bones and organs of a fillet. Basically, the flexibility lies on the thickness of the blade. A thicker blade is less flexible whereas a long and thin blade is very flexible. Therefore, you should opt for shorter and thinner blades if you’ll be working on short fish types. They deliver enough flexibility required for the tight angles that need to be cut. But for larger fish types, the blades should be stronger and thicker. Probably a 9 inch blade.
When you buy your fillet knife, you need to keep it sharp and dandy. A sharp blade edge ensures a clean and easy cut time every time you use it. While some knives come with a sharpener, others don’t. A good sharpener will prolong the life of your knife by keeping the blade in pristine condition.
Another important feature to consider is the material used for the blade. Does the blade meet the minimum standards? If not, they you may not get the desired results while filleting.
Most blades boast stainless steel material. But not all stainless steel blades have same quality. You will want to go for a stainless steel blade that is resistant to rust and corrosion.
Safety is everything when working with a fishing fillet knife. Some knives boasts a finger guard while other dimpled handle for added safety. There are also those that space between the handle and the blade.
Fortunately, some knives come with a cover/pouch to protect the blade. And thanks to these pouches you can also avoid getting injured.
It is important to always identify key safety features with every knife you buy. Remember, safety is the truest sign of good value for money.
How to Choose The Right Fishing Fillet Knife
It’s important to make the most out of every opportunity you come across. And so if you deal with fish, getting yourself the best fishing fillet knife is vital. Note that flexibility, design, quality of blade and grip are just but a few factors to consider. But if you are still not sure, you can always read more reviews or consult an expert.
Luckily, for you, this website only brings you the best rated knives. We only review what is really worth your time and money. That way, you can go ahead and make and informed decision.